Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Trip to Japan 日本への里帰り

Kids and I have visited Japan last 6 weeks. It was a lot of fun to see all my family and friends. I felt bad for leaving Josiah here all alone, but it is always nice to have the chance to remind myself (and him) how much we need each other ;0) The weather there at first was as bad as Utah's May. It was super cold one day and hot the next day! But it got better and warmer in late June. I just forgot how humid it was over there. There were a lot of events going on there during this visit. Kai's school had a lot of events, 3 festivals, family trip... We really had a great time there. My parents were dying to spoil my kids and they were totally rotten! Kids had awesome time with their grandparents that they have only seen on the pictures for last two years. I am glad that not only my parents but other family members got to see the kids and spend great time with them. Especially my grandmas.

This time, I have decided to send Kai to yo-chien (pre-school) in Japan. I made some phone calls to arrange his enrollment before we went to Japan. Most of the schools in my town said they would accept him, so I decided to take him to a school that my friend's mom owns. My friends' kids are also going there so I thought Kai will have some friends he knew. He had a great time there and his Japanese really improved!
I will get into more details later!

Lily had a great time with all my family members! She is so not shy that everyone totally adored her! I guess she looked a lot different from the pics that I have sent before, they told me how cuter she looked ;0) (good thing? right?) She called my dad "papa" as I called him. He told me that everything she does reminded him of me that he would get emotional all the time as he played with her.

I got to eat a lot of great food!!!! I gave up on losing weight. My friend's husband was excited to see how much I gained at the end of the trip, so it was my goal to disappoint him. I will totally miss all the great food. and hot springs.... I think kids will really miss the convenience stores there and the vending machines. They were addicted to the vending machines. I got to see my best friends that I really really missed. They all recently had babies and we were all moms this time. It is always so nice to pick up where we left off! Even though our lives have changed so much since last time I saw them, we can talk like last time we saw each other was only yesterday. I will miss them very much.


It really was a great trip!

On the serious note....

This visit was very interesting one. It really made me think about our future. I am the only child and like always there were many that told me how sorry for my parents that I am so far away. Especially my mom being pretty sick, everyone felt like they have to speak up on be half of my family. I couldn't help myself feeling how horrible child I am to leave my family. All the good things I have with my great husband and kids seemed selfish act. Above everything happening, my family is all so supportive of my life and grateful that they get to have Kai and Lily in their lives. My dad told me the best thing I can do is to be happy and raise his grand kids with love. My aunt told me that there is nothing to feel guilty. I have brought two beautiful great grand kids who are the reason for my grandma to live. I love my family and I am so sorry that I couldn't stay longer. and I am so grateful for my husband who had been so supportive and willing to let us go visit.

2 comments:

Matt and Alissa said...

I am so glad you were able to visit this year. It sounded like an awesome trip. That is great that Kai's japanese improved so much while you were there. I hope all is well with you guys.

grandmabish said...

Oh Yukie......This must be soooo hard for you. Being the only child, and your mother not in good health. All I can say is this: Sometimes with a certain problem that I have, I have to remember that years ago, when I made a decision concerning my future, I did have the confirmation of the spirit. When you were thinking about leaving Japan to make a new life in America with Josiah, I'm sure that you prayed about it, and that you knew through the Spirit, that you had made the right decision. Think about that. Write it down in your journal and look at it often with all of it's details. You are certainly not alone. Many others have left their homeland, to go to another country. I have a cousin who left America to live and work, and raise a family in Japan. You and your family will all be OK. It must be hard for you to not have your mom here. Don't ever be afraid to ask for anything you need. I will keep you in my prayers that you might be comforted.